Friday, October 15, 2010

One more thing about Bell Diamond




"... with a story developed by the filmmaker and cast and completely improvised, the film deals with characters who are neither articulate nor particularly attractive, but pays them the kind of respect and attention that they would never receive from other quarters. Visually Jost's most impressive work to date. The impact of the film's original form of realism arrives only gradually, but once it registers, it becomes indelible."

- Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader


"Among the ten best of the year. Formally exquisite and politically pointed study of an alienated Vietnam vet against the background of a bankrupted mining town."

- Dave Kehr, Chicago Tribune


I wrote about Bell Diamond in two earlier posts, but it's been over twenty years since I watched it, and I was unprepared for it when I saw it.

I had no clue what it was about when I went to see it. I thought it would be less serious. Something somewhere between Paul Morissey and John Waters, although I'm not sure I had seen movies by either of those guys at that point.

But here is a link to a site that's more informative:

http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.com/?p=7732

(This stills above came from that site.)

No comments:

Post a Comment