Saturday, June 25, 2011

Jello Biafra to perform in Israel like an idiot

I was disgusted when Elton John violated the boycott and performed in Israel. I was unhappy that Justin Bieber performed there, although I didn't hold it against him---he didn't know any better. But I don't know what the hell's wrong with Jello Biafra. He claims to be an anarchist. It turns out that he is also Jewish, not that that's an excuse.

It seems that Biafra is planning to finish up his European tour by performing in Israel.

I've run into Jewish "anarchists" over the years. They're against government in any form, except the Israeli government. They defend mechanized warfare against refugee camps, they support the Israeli Army and any act of violence it commits against Palestinians. Curfews, bombing, detention without trial, "collective punishment"----they'll defend anything. What do these idiots think anarchism is?

I knew one of these guys in high school. I'll call him "Billy M".

I just looked him up on the internet. The poor guy died four years ago. I expected to read he had OD'd, but he died of cancer. Terribly screwed up when I was acquainted with him. His parents sent him to a psychologist. A bizarre mix. He was an anarchist who loved the Israeli state, an atheist who practiced his Jewish religion focusing on the most obnoxious elements of Judaism. For example, he refused to go near his mother or sister when they were menstruating (this is true). In spite of his religiosity, he was a heavy drug user. I found out he was selling hard drugs to the children at a middle school down the street. I reported him to his rabbi.

Later, I ran into him at school. He found out that I was the one who told the rabbi on him. But he was high on hallucinogens. He mentioned me squealing on him, but he wasn't upset about it. He just stared at a mural on the wall and wondered why the colors kept moving.

I found out that the rabbi had gone to his house.

"Let's go for a ride, Bill," he said.

In the car, the rabbi said, "I hear you're selling drugs to children."

"I had to think of a lie quick!" Bill later said. He told the rabbi that, yes, he had experimented with drugs in the past, but it would be terribly wrong to sell them to others.

Not long after that, I attended a bar mitzvah. Billy saw me. Came over. He was furious!

"I heard you were talking to Myron here," he said indicating the rabbi.

"Yeah, we already talked about that," I said.

"I want you to know that an extremely half-assed thing to do and there's no reason I shouldn't break your neck! Except for moral reasons."

"Except that you're physically incapable," I said.

He could see I was trying not to laugh and he walked off muttering something about pepper spray. He figured he could incapacitate me with pepper spray and then break my neck.

His father was a history professor. Billy was very serious about school even though he was on drugs all the time. He seemed very bright, which made it seem rather strange that he took speed to help his stay up to study before a test. It was only high school. If he was so smart, why did he need it?

"Boy, was I strung out," he said. "That's the last time I buy from someone I don't know."

"What did you take?" I asked.

"I don't know. They were little yellow pills."

"Why don't you just take No Doz?"

"No way! That's caffeine! That'll give you a heart attack!"

I pointed out the obvious flaw in his reasoning. He was unswayed. He said, "You take too much caffeine, it'll give you a heart attack."

He called me a "bigot" because I wasn't pro-Israel. I asked him why he was pro-Israel. He said, "Because I'm Jewish!" What did he think bigotry was?

Now I've read several tributes to him on various blogs by his various friends. Almost all of them mention that they're Jewish. They talk about how intelligent and nice he was. Was I wrong about him? But I realized as I read that they were talking about the same traits that people found so obnoxious. For example, his constant assertions of his own intellectual superiority. I don't know if they were putting the best face on it, or if misjudged him, perhaps prejudiced by people who had other reasons to dislike him.


Poor Billy. I'm still baffled by his religiosity. I was somewhat friendly with him until I heard about the drugs and the middle schoolers. My friends were mad at me for squealing on him---I don't know why. A socially awkward car ride with a rabbi was a small price to pay for his criminality.

No comments:

Post a Comment