Monday, June 13, 2011

That movie Super 8


How were those kids able to film at night with Super 8 film? I guess if they were using 160 Ektachrome and an XL camera, but even then, wouldn't they need lights? And did they have sound?

Well. I guess Super 8 is dead and gone. It was so beautiful. I never actually like Super 8. I liked Regular 8. The cameras were so beautiful. I did shoot some footage under florescent lights, Kodachrome 40 with no filter. The color would have looked better with the filter--it had a bluish tint--but it was still a little dark. Video has finally killed it off.

Maybe its just as well. Remember the words of the late Sidney Lumet. Film was a pain in the ass.

Things haven't evolved quite the way we imagined.

Home video came along. Fine. For a time, people imagined that Super 8 would work for direct-to-video movies, but that didn't work out. Hi8 video came along, but it editing was its Achilles heel. You edited by re-recording and you lost quality when you did that.

Now the digital revolution is sort of complete. And look at it.

Well. It's not that bad I guess, but there's just so much of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment