Thursday, February 16, 2012

Double Feature idea: Meek's Cutoff and Seven Alone


I haven't seen Seven Alone since grade school, and I haven't seen Meek's Cutoff yet. But it might make an interesting double feature, sharply contrasting films dealing with historically connected events, one a serious independent film, the other a vaguely right-wing family film.

As I mentioned in the post before last, the real life Meek who was a character in Meek's Cutoff had a niece who was staying at the Whitman Mission with the seven Sager children from Seven Alone when the two Sager boys were killed in the Whitman Massacre. The girls were carried away by Cayuse Indians (who settlers were trying to avoid in Meek's Cutoff) and were later ransomed. Meek's niece, Helen, died in captivity.

Both movies are now available for instant viewing on Netflix.

Maybe I should watch them before suggesting them as a double feature.

But I'm on Part Three of the Soviet production of War and Peace. I have two more parts to go before I'm free. An incredible movie. It cost $100 million to produce in the 1960s, equal to at least $800 million today. And production costs tended to be lower in the U.S.S.R., so it might have cost well over a billion dollars if it had been made in Hollywood. It makes a monkey out of Avatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment