Saturday, April 7, 2012

Thomas Kinkade


Thomas Kinkade has died at age 54.

He put out mass produced paintings. Serious artists dismissed him, but he made a fortune.

I'm fine with it.

I've always been more intrigued by low cost "people's cars". I've never had the slightest interest in high-priced sports cars.

And with art, other than the money involved, what's the thrill of doing a painting that's going to be hidden away in some rich guy's "private collection"? This is a movie blog, dealing with art for the masses.

It reminds me of Alain Robbe-Grillet wanting to resurrect the novel as an art form. Does your novel constitute a resurrection of the art form if almost nobody reads it?

No, I'm fine with Thomas Kinkade's mass-marketing. I just wish his art had been better, or at least interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment