Thursday, October 4, 2012

Does analog video have any appeal at all?


There are artists who experiment with the unique optical qualities of the all-plastic Diana camera.

Fisher Price PXL 2000 toy camcorders have long been coveted by artists.

There are people who insist on using Super 8 film instead of digital video.

So what about standard definition analog video? Anybody exploiting its unique visual qualities? Because I love my big giant S-VHS camcorders. I bought them for almost nothing long after they were obsolete. Last time I used one of them, a guy thought I was from the media. I told him I wasn't. I told him several times. But I recorded his message to the governor anyway.

Could analog video be the new grainy black and white? If Open City or Battle of Algiers were filmed today, would it be on S-VHS or Hi8 video?

I doubt it. But these camcorders must be good for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment