Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Bad New Bears in Breaking Training

I did a search on Netflix for "Breaking Bad". I ended up watching The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training. I'd seen The Bad News Bears back in the '70s. The sequels lacked Walter Matthau and Tatum O'Neal and they replaced several of the boys, I assume because the child actors hit their growth spurts. Tanner became the central figure, or at least he supplied some narration.

In the original movie, they were on the same team but weren't friends otherwise. In this one, they were. Tanner had denounced Lupus as a "booger-eatin' spaz" who "makes me want to puke" in the first one, but now they were best friends.

Tanner uses a number of racial slurs. I heard at the time that the actor's mother had objected and got them to cut out quite a bit of that.

The team takes a stolen van to Houston where they play a game in the Astrodome. I thought the team was supposed to be really bad with an alcoholic coach. Why were they playing in the Astrodome?

It turns out that there's nothing funny in and of itself about a racist kid or kids reading Playboy, or kids stealing a van, or a fat kid having to use the bathroom.

With Scott Baio's cousin, Jimmy, and Gummo Marx's grandson, Brett.

Oh, well. It was about what I expected when I clicked on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment