Monday, April 15, 2013

Anne Frank, Justin Bieber

Oh, come on. Like what did other people write in the guest book at the Anne Frank House that was so great?

Justin Bieber spent an hour there and wrote in the guest book, "Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber."

He should have stopped at the first sentence. But now the poor boy is under attack accused of bad taste and making it all about him.

I never liked comment books. You can't erase or scribble out. You have only one chance to say something good.

People are posting comments attacking Bieber. The people at the Anne Frank House are defending him.

It made me think of the speech that Gerda Weissman Klein gave at the Oscars. She was the subject of a short documentary, "A Survivor Remembers":
"I have been in a place for six incredible years, where winning meant a crust of bread and to live another day. Since the blessed day of my liberation I have asked the question, 'Why am I here? I am no better.' In my mind's eye I see those years and faces of those who never lived to see the magic of a boring evening at home. On their behalf I wish to thank you for honoring their memory, and you cannot do that in a better way than when you return to your homes tonight to realize that each of you who knows the joy of freedom are winners. Thank you on their behalf with all my heart."
I don't know what Bieber meant. My guess is that Anne Frank just wanted to live a normal life like the ordinary girls now flocking to Justin Bieber concerts. I don't know if Bieber saw a connection or if he just wondered if she would have liked his music, or if he just couldn't think of anything to write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment