Saturday, June 22, 2013

Miley Cyrus


A few years ago, I was on the internet talking to someone from a foreign land. The TV was on. It was a movie from the late '60s I had never seen before.

"Hey! There's a naked lady on TV!" I exclaimed.

I explained that we don't have much TV nudity in America.

And I realized that it was ex-Disney star Haley Mills.

Even in the '60s, these poor kids had to degrade themselves on screen to overcome their pasts at Disney.

I clicked on a link to Miley Cyrus's new video. She seems to be following in the footsteps of the other Disney girls. I didn't have the sound turned on, so I can't comment on the music and I have no idea how it related to the visuals.

Well, if that's what she wants to do, that's her business. I would tone it down. There's more than one antidote to the nightmare of Disney. She could have done a high brow Ingmar Bergman-like music video, or done some sort of left-wing political video.

But is what Cyrus and these others have done an antidote to their Disney years, or is it somehow a continuation of them? Is it a reaction against Disney or is this what Disney has turned them into?

No comments:

Post a Comment