Monday, December 5, 2016

Mad Libs



I'll never forget the time we played Mad Libs in class in the 5th grade. I so wanted to contribute. So the teacher points to me and I blurted out the first noun that came to mind. A few expressed disappointment. My noun wasn't funny.

And when the teacher read the thing, when she came to my contribution, I heard the disdain in her voice. She was right. I ruined the Mad Lib.

Now, over 40 years later, I realize that there's nothing remotely funny about Mad Libs. I can't think of anything I could have said that would have been funny unless it was obscene or indecent, and even then it wouldn't have been that funny.

Was I was missing something? Like maybe I didn't pay close enough attention to the subject matter. Like I hadn't gotten into the spirit of the thing. Why was everyone better than me?

No comments:

Post a Comment