Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Roger Moore, RIP


Roger Moore has died at 89.

When I was a kid, I was forced to sit through all the James Bond movies made up to that point. They were playing every Friday night on one of the networks and my brother wanted to see them for some reason. I liked Roger Moore better than Sean Connery. They were about the same age but Moore seemed younger and hipper, perhaps because he had his own hair.

But I didn't really like the movies. Even when I was ten I thought it was absurd that SPECTRE had a far more advanced space program than the U.S. or Soviet Union. The fights weren't exciting, the gadgets were stupid and I didn't understand what women saw in the various James Bonds.

Roger Moore thought it was ridiculous that James Bond was a spy but he walked around with everyone knowing who he was and what he did for a living. He told Dick Cavett that he was on the set of that terrible James Bond movie--the one where he was in Venice in a specially outfitted gondola--and a woman asked him if he was ever going to do a serious movie. He told her how much this movie cost per day of shooting and thought that made it pretty serious, but he said he knew what she was talking about.

Reminds me of Robert Downey Jr responding to a similar question, except Downey had no sense of humor about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment