Tuesday, July 11, 2017

And They Call it Summer (Italy, 2012)





An Italian anesthesiologist adores his wife to the point that he can't bring himself to sully her with sex. He satisfies himself with swingers, hires prostitutes, and goes to sex parties, but won't touch his wife. Concerned about her needs, he encourages her ex-boyfriends to sleep with her.

For all I know, this could be a common problem with married couples. I don't know what people do.

The movie won some awards at the Rome Film Festival, but critics couldn't stand it. It was universally panned.

One critic felt that the first shot of the wife being a close-up of her genitalia was the first of many "missteps".

I watched it without thinking much about it. I don't know what that tells you. I didn't hate it. It was kind of interesting visually. There wasn't much dialog or interaction between husband and wife or much character development of any kind.

I watched it on Netflix. There are a couple of other Roku channels where you can see it for free.

I'm always curious about movies that everybody hates, but this is the one of the few I could actually sit through.

No comments:

Post a Comment