Thursday, October 5, 2017

Hub City (1997)



A pretty good short about Lubbock, Texas, hometown of Buddy Holly. Fifteen minutes. The filmmaker said he was scouting locations for another movie, so we see some interesting spots, often run down, perhaps abandoned buildings. Most are static camera shots of static subjects so it could have been as a filmstrip, but that's okay. With narration about the city, Buddy Holly and his death.

Available on Fandor

I never entirely understood the appeal of Buddy Holly, but I don't listen to music in general so what do I know. I've also never understood what people like about Texas. People who are from there seem to like it. I lived there for a couple of years when I was six or seven. If I had children, I'd never let them attend school there and I would be in constant fear of being railroaded for a crime I didn't commit and ending up on death row, a surprisingly common occurrence there, although the percentage of the overall population wrongfully executed would be fairly small. The United States in general is one big hell hole in that regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment