Sunday, November 19, 2017

Is there a coming backlash on sex abuse claims?

People are worried that there will be a backlash against the wave of sexual harassment accusations. I don't know if there will be. This may not make a difference, but I can't see that the standard of proof has changed. Weinstein, Kevin Spacey and Louis CK had multiple accusers and have more or less admitted what they did. Roy Moore is obviously a pervert. Cases with less evidence or where there wasn't a larger pattern of abuse get less response.

In defense of Kevin Spacey on a minor point, I didn't think he was trying to divert attention when he came out as gay at the same time he made his apology to Anthony Rapp. I don't think he was conflating homosexuality and pedophilia or trying to hide behind being gay. He (sort of) apologized for something he said he didn't remember doing. He needed to explain why he didn't remember doing it but still thought it was something he might do if he were really drunk.

And I mentioned this briefly before----in his roast of Rob Reiner, Al Franken listed gay men and men rumored to be gay and jokes that they raped Reiner when he was a child. Most anti-gay comments are in joke form, so this being said as a joke doesn't make it any better. Franken conflated homosexuality with child rape and it didn't seem to bother anyone.

How was that an attack on Rob Reiner anyway? How was it roasting him to say he was molested as a child? How was it a joke? What was the punchline?

I decided a few years ago that I should be more moralistic. Not moral, just moralistic. I was moral enough. But I was tired of being open-minded, of pretending not to be offended by things that were intentionally offensive. I feel much better as a result.


No comments:

Post a Comment