Wednesday, March 21, 2018

A brain teaser from the '70's

Remember this from All In The Family? Gloria or one of her feminist friends asked them this puzzler:

A man and his son are in car wreck. The man is killed and the boy is rushed to the hospital. They rush him into emergency surgery. The doctor walks in, sees the boy and says, "I can't operate on him! He's my son!"

How could this be???

The kid isn't adopted, he's nobody's Godchild, not a step-son or anything like that.

I told this a few years ago on the internet to a teenage boy in India and a middle aged woman in Canada. Neither one could figure it out. The Indian kid was extremely bright, but I wasn't surprised that he didn't get it, but I was surprised that the woman didn't solve the puzzle immediately.

The surgeon was the kid's mother.

The woman I was chatting with was a bit embarrassed.

"'So, the parents had sex changes?'" I typed.

This came to mind when it was reported recently that 3 in ten children asked to draw a scientist drew a woman scientist. That's up from about 1% in the 1960's.













No comments:

Post a Comment