Saturday, March 3, 2018

Kathy Griffin on Woody Allen

So, I watched Kathy Griffin on YouTube. She talked about the time she sat next to Woody Allen. She said she thought he was "guilty" which shows her ignorance. So she was sitting there talking to him, discussing the stars he directed. He's known to be rather laid back as a director, giving little direction to actors.

Then Griffin said---and she said this as if it proved something terrible about Allen---that Allen said that he never missed Hannah Montana. He liked Miley Cyrus and was concerned about how, at the time, she kept appearing naked and doing all that sex stuff.

Allen has two teenage daughters. He probably had little choice but to watch Hannah Montana---it was either that or go take a nap. I think it's nice that the man watched TV with his kids. I knew a couple of psychology professors---husband and wife---who became Gilligan's Island fans because their kids watched it.

I sat through an episode of Hannah Montana once. My cousin was at my house with her two kids and her teenage daughter asked if we could turn on the TV. She was quite distressed that she was going to miss the show, so I turned it on. I wasn't sure where the Disney Channel was, but I found it. She was happy. But then all she was make fun of the show the whole time it was on.

I was myself a bit troubled by Miley's descent into depravity such as it was. I've said before that Disney seems to have that effect on its young stars. They all end up this way. People say they're reacting against their wholesome Disney past, but I think it's something different, that there's something about their exploitation at the hands of the Disney Corporation that makes it a natural progression.

Allen cast Miley Cyrus in his Amazon series.

Kathy Griffin isn't exactly a reliable narrator. She claims that Allen referred to Bill Cosby as his friend (did they ever know each other?) and said he was being railroaded, although it may be natural that someone who's been the target of a false accusation for 25 years would be sensitive to the possibility that it was happening to someone else.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Bill Cosby and Woody Allen are friends, and started out together as stand up comedians in the early 1960s playing the same venues. When Woody Allen hosted the Tonight Show on July 6, 1964, the first guest he had on was Bill Cosby. They are both life-long lovers of jazz. They are the greatest jazz artists of comedy.

    ReplyDelete