Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Call Me By Your Name


I finally watched Brokeback Mountain a couple of years ago. Cowboy sexuality of any kind always repulsed me for some reason. Maybe from watching Gunsmoke as a child.

Now I haven't seen it, but I read about this movie Call Me By Your Name. I'm probably fine with a high school boy running around with a college boy, especially if they're both fictional. But I think I would just be annoyed by two fictional Jewish geniuses. Jews as intellectually superior is as noxious a stereotype as any.

They get more for their money in Europe and made the movie for $3.5 million, about the cost of an hour-long TV episode in the United States. It makes you wonder why Woody Allen movies cost so much.

In the novel, the two young fellows take a trip to Rome together. They couldn't afford to film this for the movie and they considered a number of alternatives. One was to have everyone else go to Rome while the two boys stay home alone for a few days.

They considered Shia LaBeouf, I assume for Armie Hammer's role. It sounds like they would have used him but the production company put their foot down because he was likely to foul it all up. A wise move looking at what he did to Peanut Butter Falcon. 

I'm surprised there aren't more low budget rip-offs of movies like this. All you need is two guys and a flock of sheep to make a Brokeback Mountain rip-off.

No comments:

Post a Comment