Wednesday, April 4, 2018

I wasn't what you'd call talented


Thinking back to the fiction I wrote in the fourth grade, I remember two stories.

In one, a rocket goes into space. It contains two astronauts. The rocket is pulled by giant magnets to an unknown planet. People there put the astronauts in the back of a truck and drive them somewhere. People line the streets to see them. Then they're put back in the rocket ship and sent back to Earth.

A few years later, another rocket is launched. Magnets pull it away to the planet and the same thing happens.

The other story was about a haunted cabin.

A man stays in a cabin on a mountain top. He is chased away by a ghost.

Later, another man goes to the same cabin and he, too, is chased away by the ghost.

I think I had everything happen twice in case people weren't convinced by the first incident. It doesn't make sense in a work of fiction, but if you were reading it in the newspaper, you'd think, "That confirms it! It must be true!"

I was like Ed Wood, Jr, trying to convince people throughout the movie that Plan 9 From Outer Space was fact-based.

But maybe he had a point. Look at H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds. It was set in the 1890's. Is it scary reading something set in the 1890's when it obviously didn't happen? I never read the book so I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment