Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Nollywood films available on Amazon



I came across a Roku channel with Nollywood films, but it cost a little more than I wanted to pay so I passed.

"Nollywood" refers to the movie industry in Nigeria. Some years ago, Nigeria was awash with guns, it became dangerous to go out at night so people stayed home and home video became the preferred form of entertainment spawning a movie industry that has stayed on top of technological advances, using the latest prosumer equipment. They switched from videocassettes to DVDs which they sell for a couple bucks each.

I was sitting at work. I thought maybe I should take greater advantage of Amazon Prime even though I'm philosophically opposed and have been trying to spend less. I looked at Amazon on the computer. But what would I order?

I looked up the films of Andy Milligan, the low budget horror auteur, and was surprised to find that several of his movies were available free on streaming video with Amazon Prime. I did a search for "nollywood" and found they had a handful of movies available free on streaming video.

Late at night, I turned on a movie about a white guy in Nigeria who becomes possessed by a ghost. I slept through most of it, but it was well-made as far as I could tell, better than the clips I've seen of earlier Nollywood movies.

Cinema is in flux. Between cheap DVD's, streaming video and Hollywood producing nothing but super hero crap, you think something like that could catch on here?

No comments:

Post a Comment