Friday, October 5, 2012

Mumblecore, the New Wave and reverse mumblecore

If I were French and didn't understand English and had to watch old American B movies subtitled in French, I'd probably like them better than I do now.

I don't know why the intellectuals of the French New Wave liked American B movies so much, but I always assumed a large part of it was that they wanted to make movies themselves and they knew that, if they were ever going to do it, they would be working with very little money.

They looked at low budget genre movies and used them as a model for their personal films.

And now we must do the opposite with these "mumblecore" movies.

Watch these plotless, extreme low budget "personal" films and see how you could use the same techniques to make incredibly cheap, well-plotted, carefully scripted genre movies.

And another thing, use digital video. It looks fine, it's cheap and it has image stabilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment