Saturday, April 23, 2016

Tom Cruise "fascinatingly dumb"

A quote about Tom Cruise from Jean-Pierre Mocky, French director, screenwriter, and producer from his memoir,  Je vais encore me faire des amis! (I'm going to make some more friends!). I don't know if it's available in English. This is a translation found on line:

"[Stanley Kubrick] died in March 1999, two months before the release of Eyes Wide Shut, his last movie. I was invited to the preview screening in France, which was attended by Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. She arrived on stage an hour late, and for this, just to set the mood for us, her then film partner and husband harshly reprimanded her in front of the audience in the UCG Normandie theater! The screening was followed by a dinner at the Man Ray, which used to be a very famous restaurant on the Champs-Élysées: Nicole Kidman chose to stay away (out of fear, no doubt, of prolonging the bickering), and I found myself at a table with Tom Cruise, with whom I spent two interminable hours. I learned at least that he's fascinatingly dumb. Not only did he speak exclusively about his own precious self, in more than glowing terms, of course, but after a logorrhea in which he sang me the praises of Scientology, this deluxe traveling salesman tried outright to convert me; the only thing that was missing was the membership application and my signature at the bottom right! When the time to leave finally came, I wondered how people with minds so flat can possibly lead such careers. And I'm still wondering."

No comments:

Post a Comment