Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Garrison Keillor? Are they kidding?




First off, Variety published an exclusive article on Matt Lauer. Read it here:

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/matt-lauer-accused-sexual-harassment-multiple-women-1202625959/

I don't watch the Today Show. I know Matt Lauer mainly from the interview where Tom Cruise called him "glib".

Now Garrison Keillor has been canned by Minnesota Public Radio the day after he wrote a syndicated column pooh-poohing the suggestion that Al Franken resign. MPR isn't saying much about it, but according to AP:
The homegrown humorist told The Associated Press he was fired over “a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version MPR heard.” Keillor didn’t detail the allegation to AP, but he later told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that he had put his hand on a woman’s bare back when trying to console her.
“I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness, and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches. She recoiled. I apologized,” Keillor told the newspaper in an email. “I sent her an email of apology later, and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. 
“We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called.”
It's hard to imagine that's the whole story.

I usually cringe slightly when people---often people who are barely left of center---complain about "rich White males", but that's who it's been in these cases. If you're keeping track, it's been forty-five or fifty Whites, about half of them Jewish, plus one Black and one Japanese. I said before that I don't think the Japanese guy should be included---there was a single accusation which he denies and no one alleged he used any position of power to get away with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment