Thursday, November 9, 2017

Horrible German form of execution

I started to watched a movie called Four Just Men (UK, 1939). A group of World War One veterans go around fighting crime and Nazis.

But I got distracted by the opening scene. It starts with the Germans about to execute some British spies in 1918.

"What? No! That can't be right!" I thought.

They were going to chop their heads off with a big axe. I know the Germans had their version of a guillotine which the Nazis used to kill thousands and thousands of people. But an axe? Where would they even find anyone willing to do that?

I googled it. I knew I shouldn't have. All kinds of horrible things come up.

It was only after World War One that the German government ended the practice of chopping people's heads off with axes, but the Nazis brought it back. The last execution by axe in Germany was in 1935. 82 years ago. There could be some 100-year-old German walking around right now who remembers participating in the execution as an 18-year-old recruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment