Sunday, December 25, 2011

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

It's like Gilligan's Island. After you watch it for a number of years, you come to accept certain things. Like the way they did so much construction---building a stage, a car, and a mock-up of the boat---so why couldn't they repair the actual boat? Giant spiders don't exist, someone walking around with a sheet over his head wouldn't fool anyone into thinking he was a ghost, berries that give you psychic powers don't exist, engineers at NASA would know if their probe landed somewhere on Earth instead of on Mars.

Same sort of thing with Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer. You just watch it and accept it. You don't question what's going on.

But why was Santa such a jerk? I kind of remember thinking that at one time, then I just kind of came to accept it. But now. What was his problem? He was the one who barred Rudolph from playing any reindeer games.

"He was an old bigot," said one observer.

Well, I haven't watched that in years. I don't know if I could now. I knew a woman who cried whenever she saw the Island of Misfit Toys.

"Are you kidding?" someone said.

"It's one of the hazards of being a special ed teacher," she said.

It's made me sad ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment