Sunday, May 5, 2013

How to watch a movie like an opera

Well, what can I tell you. I kept falling asleep trying to watch a foreign film with subtitles, so I did that thing that opera guy suggested.

There was an opera fan interviewed by Rick Steves on the radio. The opera guy explained that you're not going to follow the plot of an opera by watching and listening to the words. You should read about the thing beforehand, find out what it's about, learn the storyline, then go and relax and listen to the music.

So I looked this movie up on Wikipedia. Whoever the people are who write the movie descriptions on there, they always give away everything in the plot. This description for this one was shorter than most of the others, but I read it, knew what was happening, and relaxed and watched the movie.

I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't have done it. I did watch another movie in the same genre from the same director, and I sat there reading all the subtitles and it was a more interesting experience. Both movies were technically mysteries, although the endings came as no surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment