Wednesday, December 20, 2017

A Christmas Story Live a few days ago


I must be getting old because I kind of liked A Christmas Story Live. I was never that excited about the movie.

One critic attacked it for not being much different from something shot on videotape. What's the point of a live TV show if it could just as well be done on videotape? But then he also attacked it for having a few fumbled lines.

I'm on the west coast so what I saw was what they used to call "live on tape"---it was on videotape but they didn't edit it as if it were live. It was dark out when the show started here, but it was daylight in California three hours earlier when the outdoor scenes were performed.

There was much greater chance of humiliating failure when they did Peter Pan Live with all that flying. They should have had a few understudies ready in case one or more actors were injured. I'm not sure what they would have done. Years ago, Jackie Gleason dragged himself offstage with a broken leg and Art Carney was left to end the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment