Saturday, April 14, 2018

A Decent Woman, Lukas Valenta Rinner, 2016


I guess nudism is still a thing. There was a nudist camp skit on the old Carol Burnett Show, there was the nudist camp sequence in A Shot in the Dark with Peter Sellers, and there were old cartoons and comic strips with nudist camp gags. But society has evolved. I don't know if the lack of nudist camp jokes means a lack of nudist camps. Nudists have always been rather conservative and it may be that public displays of hippie nudity rendered them irrelevant.

So I'm watching an Argentine movie about a maid who starts hanging around with wealthy nudists next to the exclusive gated neighborhood where she works.

I don't think there's a single person in this movie I'd want to see naked, but that's fine. I don't really understand nudism. Nudists say that you have to find ways of expressing your personality which you would normally do through choice of clothing. This is also how schools counter the claim that school uniforms deprive children of individuality. I don't know how this is a legitimate function of a public school.

I suppose that walking around naked puts the maid on equal footing with the bourgeoisie. She was better looking than they were.

Described as a deadpan satire. I wasn't sure what to make of it. The dialog is used more as a sound effect than to explain the plot. The ending is rather violent and a bit surreal. You'd think nudists would put on some pants before going into battle.

Available on Fandor.

No comments:

Post a Comment