Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Finn Wolfhard's hit single

Calpurnia
I have two brothers, a sister-in-law and a number of acquaintances who are professional musicians. I doubt any of them ever thought about it, but I imagine they would be grateful that their very first efforts didn't make it into mass distribution.

It's a shame that Finn Wolfhard and his bandmates can't develop their skills out of public view. They just put out their first single and it's reached No. 1 on Spotify’s Global Viral 50 playlist.

It would be like having your 9th grade schoolwork published as a collection of essays.

According to the band's press release, "We're super excited to announce that our debut single, 'City Boy' is out... We're super proud of it!"

I don't believe for a second they said they were "super excited" or "super proud". Wolfhard's adult fans relate to him like doting grandparents and some publicist was cynically tapping into that.

I listened to about half of the song and watched the video. It had a certain appeal. My guess is that the kids will be embarrassed by it in a couple of years. Several years after that, they'll think it was cute and kind of like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment