Saturday, October 21, 2017

Chariots of the Gods

The author of the book. He didn't appear in the movie.
 
I told this story before somewhere on here. When I was in junior high school, a social studies teacher got completely off the subject and described how the statues on Easter Island were carved by space aliens using lasers. And once they were carved, he asked the class, how did the aliens move them around?

Someone suggested cranes.

No, he said.

Trucks?

No, no, he said. They wouldn't need that stuff. They would just use an anti-gravity ray! It was so simple.

He lost me there. Yes, he lost even me. And I believed in that crap back then.

Another social studies teacher generally believed in evolution, but he thought humans were the result of aliens breeding with apes. 

I don't know which I saw first, Chariots of the Gods or In Search of Ancient Astronauts. I just learned today that they were same movie with a different narrators.

I just watched Chariots of the Gods on Fandor for the first time in about 45 years. I can see why I was creeped out by it when I was in the fourth or fifth grade. I went to see it in the theater with my mother and brother. As we left the theater, I was convinced. It must be true. There was no other possible explanation.

I was surprised that my mother never considered the possibility. She didn't say why. It wasn't worth thinking about.

All these years I assumed it was produced in Utah like some of those other crap documentaries, but, no, it was made by Germans and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature. Documentary features must have been awful back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment