Monday, March 8, 2021

Murder Among the Mormons

I canceled Netflix but still have time left on it. Oprah's two hour interview with "Prince" Harry and Meghan Markle was on, but I didn't think I could stand it, so I watched this instead. I had read a book about it called Salamander, so I knew about the case. There weren't any surprises except that the cops weren't nearly as on-the-ball as I thought.

Utah police suspected a somewhat innocent Mormon guy of the murders because they found a copy of The Anarchist Cookbook when they searched his basement. And a submachine gun. So they had very good reason to suspect him.

I had a copy of The Anarchist Cookbook when I was in high school. I bought it strictly as a novelty. I had zero interest in drugs and explosives would have terrified me. My guess was that the author had come up with a pretty good title and decided his work was done because there was nothing in the book that should have alarmed or been of any use to anyone. I had read a couple books from the school library advocating gun control that provided far more troubling information, like how to make a zip gun. 

So, the documentary was about a case in the '80's. A Mormon who had secretly become an atheist makes a lot of money as a documents forger while undermining the church with what he claimed were early Mormon documents. 

Oh, and then he uses bombs to murder three people when his enterprise starts falling apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment