Friday, July 2, 2021

The Lady Vanishes (Alfred Hitchcock, 1938)

The movie starts with a model of a little European town. Later, there was a lovely shot of a model train crossing a high bridge in the mountains and of a model train engine, the wheels turning as it speeds through the countryside. That's not criticism. I'm pro-model. It was part of its charm.



I liked the movie better than I thought I would although parts of it seemed long, maybe because I watched it on streaming video. It starts with travelers stranded in a hotel that was unprepared for so many people. They run out of food and have to share rooms.


Once on the train, a young woman (Margaret Lockwood) hangs around with a middle aged British nanny (May Whitty). When the nanny disappears, passengers and crew deny the woman ever existed.


I liked the shootout. It was a different time, when ordinary people would gun down a few cops if they had to.

I watched it on Pub D Hub which was stupid since it was available on Amazon Prime and The Criterion Channel among other places.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment