Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Night of the Blood Beast (1958)


I remember seeing this in an ad in Famous Monsters of Filmland or some such thing. They were selling abbreviated Super 8 versions of feature films. I'd seen very few of them and I was 12 so I'd already blown my disposable income on the magazine and even if I could have bought one, I didn't own a movie projector.

But I wanted this one. Night of the Blood Beast. I thought I liked science fiction and the description said it had a rocket ship and a guy in space and a space monster, but it turns out most of it takes place after the ship crashed on Earth in a field somewhere.

Directed by Bernard L. Kowalski and produced by Roger Corman's brother, Gene. But it had a couple of Roger Corman trademarks, like the Freudian symbolism. It takes place in a base the main feature of which is a huge radio tower and it ends in a cave.

And it really wasn't very good. How is one blood beast in a cave going to take over the world? Shouldn't scientists have had wanted to study it instead of setting it on fire?

Available on Pub-D-Hub, and other public domain channels I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment