Friday, September 1, 2023

Bad Fever (Dustin Guy Defa, 2011)


My advice to filmmakers: Even if your movie gets shown in theaters, most people will watch it on TV. So don't use such small print in your opening credits.

Something very different from Utah's thriving regional cinema. It turns out that Salt Lake City has a seedy underbelly.

Story of a would-be stand-up comedian with no hope of success. He walks around muttering anecdotes into a tape recorder. Maybe his delivery was the problem. He meets a young woman who lives in an abandoned school who wants to videotape him naked.

I watched it on the Criterion channel. I first watched a video of the director discussing his work. This was about someone with an unattainable dream. But society tells him that his dream is important and he shouldn't give it up. 

The girl in it uses a SVHS camcorder. I think I have one like it I bought twenty years ago for $30 from a guy on Craigslist. He used it to record services at his church. I may have overpaid. So it was a plausible camcorder for a homeless person.

No comments:

Post a Comment