Monday, October 7, 2024

Race with the Devil (1975)


Roger Ebert wrote in a review of Albert Brooks' Lost in America:

Every time I see a Winnebago motor home, I have the same fantasy as the hero of “Lost in America.” In my dream, I quit my job, sell everything I own, buy the Winnebago and hit the open road. Where do I go? Look for me in the weather reports. I’ll be parked by the side of a mountain stream, listening to Mozart on Compact Discs. All I’ll need is a wok and a paperback.

I always think about how awful it would be, lumbering around in one of those things, cars lined up behind you waiting for a passing lane. I would dream of driving something easy to park, eating in restaurants and staying in motels which would be cheaper than buying one of those behemoths. Although I would also dream of a car with a TV and a bathroom.  

In Race with the Devil, two couples go on vacation in a giant motorhome. The pull off the road, park in a secluded spot in the Texas wilderness where they witness Satanists sacrifice a naked girl. Now the devil worshipers are trying to chase them down and they're everywhere. They stop at an RV park and the other people stare at them menacingly. When they go out to eat, the satanists kill their dog and plant rattle snakes in their cupboards.

Peter Fonda and Warren Oates with their wives, Loretta Swit and Lara Parker are going from San Antonio to Colorado. Hicks can be scary, but it's hard to picture them as part of a huge network of devil worshippers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment