Saturday, April 16, 2022

Dirty Harry (1971)


I find it so strange that my 90-year-old mother is sitting here watching Dirty Harry.

I was aware of this when I was a kid and saw the movie for the first time on network TV---that in a real case, if they caught a serial killer and the evidence against him was seized in an illegal search, they would let it in anyway, convict him, then the appeals court would turn down any appeal without comment. There had just been a case like that in the news at the time.

Years later, during the O.J. Simpson trial, some lawyers on Geraldo Live talked about courts doing this so I had that confirmation.

I guess it's nice that Dirty Harry killed Scorpio. Andy Robinson did pick up a loaded gun and was pointing it at him at the time.

There was a later movie, Dead Pool, which I haven't seen anywhere in years, a Dirty Harry movie which ends with Clint Eastwood simply murdering a man.

"He murdered him!" my friend said as we watched in a theater. "He just murdered him!"

He was like that guy in Magnum Force at the shooting competition. "A good guy! That last one was a good guy!"

We sat through the movie Sudden Impact twice, the second time counting how many people were killed, keeping track of how many were killed by criminals and how many by the ostensible hero. I concluded that, in a movie, the hero should kill fewer people than the villains, except maybe in a war movie. I don't think having a gunfight erupt every time you arrest someone is a sign of competent law enforcement.

And why was Sandra Locke raped in every movie Eastwood directed?

No comments:

Post a Comment