Sunday, October 30, 2022

A Hard Day's Night (1964)


A little disturbing seeing The Beatles act like simpletons. Paul has to explain to George that people have two grandfathers. You wouldn't have guessed that both John and Ringo were married men.

I thought my mother might like it. It was pleasant enough. They seemed happy, smiling as they ran through the streets chased by fans. Lovely black & white photography. I had to keep telling her who was who and which ones are still living. She remembered seeing them on TV in the '60's. She thought their haircuts looked awful at the time, and I kind of agree. George's hair looked especially bad. The lack of a strong storyline bothered her.

"They're having a hard day before performing that night," I said. 

With Wilfred Brambell, then 52, as Paul's grandfather. I don't know how I feel about them calling someone younger than me a "little old man".  

Available on the Criterion channel.

1 comment: