Friday, July 14, 2023

Eminence Hill (Western, 2019)


It was more interesting than others in this genre. But it starts the way they all do, with criminals appearing at an isolated farm, appearing at first to be friendly or at least not hostile, then murdering everyone. They usually leave the children and in this movie they abduct the teen daughter to sell into slavery. 

The criminal gang is being pursued by two former criminals now on the side of justice. They find themselves visiting some other seemingly defenseless people, this time in a religious commune. Things don't go as well for the criminals this time.

It made me think of a couple of films, one Russian, one Ukrainian, where people find themselves in this situation, out in the country with no chance of getting any help with obviously dangerous people trying not to scare them. But in those movies, they had philosophical discussions and talked about their lives and how they happened to be there. One had a Ukrainian fascist talking with a couple of Soviet Red Army deserters, another had an ineffectual Soviet professor who taught courses in atheism in a debate an ex-convict murderer turned Christian.   

The violence was okay, although they shot a child or teenager at one point.

The movie seemed fine. The acting was good. I liked the way the detective saw through people, jumped correctly to conclusions, and was really good at shooting people but not absurdly so. Costumes were good. There were no cowboys walking around in modern sport coats like I've seen in some of these things. If anyone was wearing polyester, I couldn't tell. 

From an interview with teen star Anna Harr:

...But honestly, I never really watched any kind of western before so I had no idea what I was getting into. I’ve done a western a long time ago, but it was a short and I don’t really count it … So this is like my first feature western, but I mean it’s interesting on set because there’s a bunch of great actors and everything is old-fashioned and everything like that, and there were horses were on set.

Available on Tubi.

No comments:

Post a Comment