Sunday, September 29, 2024

The Monolith Monsters (1957)


They used to show this now and then on a local TV station and I loved it. I remember finding it strangely frightening. A meteor lands in the desert. It explodes into little pieces. When you add water, each little chunk grows into a giant monolith which then falls over, shatters, and become even more monoliths. It's easier to do a special effect monolith than a convincing space monster, so it had that going for it.

Watching it again for the first time in 45 years, it was slower than I remembered, and I didn't remember the horrible health effects of coming into contact with them. A little girl has to be placed in an iron lung. 


Starring Grant Williams, Les Tremayne and Lola Albright, with Troy Donahue and Paul Peterson as Bobby the paperboy.



1 comment:

  1. Yeah Waldo, I first saw this only recently and was surprised at how effective it was. As you observe, the sheer strangeness of it makes it memorable.

    ReplyDelete