Sunday, January 14, 2018

Social media is tricky

Finn wearing a dickey. Think he could say that without giggling?


Be careful what you say on the internet. It hasn't happened to me, but people tend to give things the worst possible interpretation.

A woman--I think they said she was a model, I don't know--posted a photo of Finn Wolfhard on Twitter and suggested he give her a call once he was grown up. This was interpreted as pedophilia. And some guy commented on a picture of a girl from the same show Wolfhard is on. She was dressed up for some event and the guy said she had grown up before their eyes. People attacked him for being a pervert.

I thought they sounded like a couple of old people patronizing their friends' grandchildren. They were basically saying, "What a handsome little gentleman!" or "What a pretty dress! You look so grown-up!"

When I was kid, I had an old man let me go first in line. "Age before beauty," he said smiling at me. He didn't know what "age before beauty" meant. And he thought I was a girl. He thought he was being very kind to a pitifully unattractive girl and I didn't correct him. Let him have his moment.

I didn't know who Finn Wolfhard was until recently. I read something about him in the news, googled him and watched a YouTube video of him sitting in his room singing and strumming a guitar. There were hundreds of comments from doting fans all telling him that he sang like a little angel. (He didn't. Sorry.)

This seemed dangerous to me. You don't want these people to feel like they're communicating with you directly. You don't want them picturing you reading their reactions to your YouTube videos. Look at all the kid actors who've had stalkers. Even Dustin Diamond had one. He had to move in with a co-star for a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment