Sunday, January 6, 2019

The curse of Rocky Jones, Space Ranger

None of these guys lived past 50.

When I was six or seven, I asked my parents why women lived longer than men. My father said it was because men worked harder and my mother said it was because women worked harder. But I guess it was true. Women really did live longer if the cast of Rocky Jones is anything to go by.

I watched a Mystery Science Theater 3000 version of a Rocky Jones Space Ranger movie. I looked up one of the actors and was startled that the poor guy died at a very young age. I looked up some others and a lot of them died very young. The show was on in 1954. I guess life expectancy was awful back then, at least for men.

I looked up the rest of the cast who appeared in four episodes or more. Here it is. The ones who didn't make it to retirement are in bold:

Richard Crane who played Rocky Jones died at age 50.

Scotty Beckett who played Winky died at 38.

Robert Lydon who played Bobby died at 43.

Sally Mansfield did so much better. She died at 77.

Maurice Cass who played the elderly professor died at 69.
 
Charles Meredith who played the Secretary of Space died at 70.

William Hudson died at 55.
 
Harry Lauter did better, made it to 76.

Cliff Ferre, 75.

Leonard Penn, 67.

Robert Lydon's brother, Jimmy, was born in 1923 and is still kicking.

Ted Hecht, 61.

Mickey Simpson, 71.

John Banner survived a Nazi concentration camp and died at age 63.

Reginald Sheffield, 56.

Dayton Lummis lived to be 84.

Lane Bradford, 60.

Ann Robinson was born in 1929 and is still with us.

Walter Coy died at 65.

Guy Prescott lived to be 84.

Richard Avonde, 66.

Rand Brooks, 84.

Thomas Browne Henry, 72.

James Griffith, 77.

Charles Horvath, 57.

Sol Gorss, 58.

No comments:

Post a Comment