Sunday, January 13, 2019

Trip to Bountiful (1985)



I watched it again after I don't know how many years. Geraldine Page won on Oscar for her role as an old women living with her son and daughter-in-law in Houston in the late 1940's who runs away from home to return to Bountiful, the farming town she was from that was now a ghost town.

It was sad, but I also found Page's character kind of annoying partly because it was based on a play and everyone talked constantly.

I find it depressing to think about. My mother and her extended family lived in a small town. They all lived on the same short stretch of road outside of town. They were there from 1911 to just a couple of years ago when the last two died. There are none left there now, all either deceased or moved away.

I've had some passing thoughts of moving there when I retire. It should be a cheap place to live, but for a town that small it has a shockingly high murder rate. One crime made it onto Unsolved Mysteries. A local restaurant has a wall decorated with Tea Party material, much of it explicitly racist, a local pastor and his wife are in prison for refusing to pay taxes because they thought owning real estate meant they were an independent country. I watched YouTube videos of cops there harassing the homeless, but they do that everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment