Monday, February 18, 2019

Bell & Howell 70DR

With the optional hand crank.
Hmm...a Bell & Howell 70DR. Long ago, when I looked at Lenny Lipton's Independent Filmmaking, I read about various 16mm movie cameras. I wanted a Bell & Howell 70DR. It appealed to me more than a Bolex. More rugged, and when you wound them up, they ran longer.Manos: The Hands of Fate was filmed on a couple of these babies.

I looked it up on YouTube. I saw someone's Bell & Howell 70 DR camera test. The picture looked beautiful. You forget how much better film looks than video. But the camera had a registration problem and the picture wasn't steady. So I was torn. Should I desperately want a 16mm camera or not? Because I'd buy one on eBay and I wouldn't know what the registration was like until it was too late.

Then I looked at film. You can buy a used camera for the price of one roll of film.

So forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment