Sunday, January 19, 2020

Glasses online

We ordered glasses online for my mother. She had a prescription and after a few weeks we finally got online and found some. I had to measure the distance between her pupils. She wanted glasses that resembled a pair of reading glasses she had that she liked and had gotten nothing but compliments on, and they did look good.

I had some doubt about the wisdom of this approach.

"Look at these. What about these." I said.

Well. I don't remember what day we ordered them, but they arrived. They were slightly larger than the reading glasses but they look good and they were cheap. $31 including everything.

I think you can get frames with plain glass lenses very cheap if you need them for a movie.

I saw the comedian Hannibal Burres on TV. He had LASIK surgery to correct his eyesight but said it ruined his appearance. Without his glasses, he had beady little eyes. So he wore glasses with plain glass lenses which he tossed aside.

I've been meaning to get an eye exam for years. I walk around wearing reading glasses all the time, like an old guy.

When I was in junior high, I saw a kid I knew at school. He was in a Payless. He was looking at a late 1970's computer they had on display. His father walked over. I don't know if his father was old or if he just seemed old because he was balding and walking around wearing a sweater and reading glasses.

"What are you destroying now?" he said humorlessly.

I didn't know his son to be destructive or clumsy. I ran into him years later. He had an advanced degree and was working in some technical field. I told him I worked as a dishwasher. It made him sad.


No comments:

Post a Comment