Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Italian exploitation film



My God, I'm an idiot. Bought a cheap DVD of a '70's Italian exploitation film. They made a few nice westerns, but everything else was such crap. I'm not doing that again.

Long ago, there was some syndicated thing they sold to TV stations. It was called "Movie Greats Network". You don't realize how bad a movie can be until you've seen the crap they showed. If you google it, you can see stuff about their business. They showed them on one channel here after network programming ended.

The worst was a shockingly racist South African movie. One character in it was an American hitchhiker who is anti-racist but quickly learns that Blacks are evil.

"But I don't understand," he says. "This isn't their land! Why are they trying to steal it?"

An Afrikaaner explains that Black people are Communists.

It was like Birth of a Nation if Birth of a Nation had a cast of 12.

There was an Italian movie they showed called something like, Young! Violent! Dangerous! A trio of wealthy thirty-year-old Italian teens go on a crime spree. At one point, a detective berates their parents for being inattentive. It ends [SPOILER ALERT] with the young people driving off a bridge in their Fiat.
 
Those were the only two I managed to sit through. The South African movie was vile enough to hold my attention and I had the idea one of the actors the Italian movie was an American I'd never heard of. (I just found it on imdb.com and I was wrong.) Italian movies back then were all filmed without sound and dubbed. Actors of different nationalities each spoke their own language. In some case, they would just count to ten so their lips would be moving and they could dub in whatever they wanted. So I kept staring at their mouths trying to guess which one was speaking English.

I like the IDEA of cheap foreign exploitation films, but not the horrible reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment