Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Eating Raoul, 1982



Has it been that long? I don't know why it surprises me. I just watched Eating Raoul for the first time in 37 or 38 years. I saw it the same way I did the first time I watched it, on home video.

The film is about a couple whose apartment is full of furniture from the 1950's. They drive a battered car from the '50's. The movie is now older than the 1950's stuff was when the movie was made.

Paul Bartel and Mary Waronov star as Paul and Mary Bland. They're trying to raise money to open a restaurant and are annoyed by all the swingers who live in their apartment building. Paul accidentally kills a drunken swinger who invades their apartment and attacks his wife, they discover he has several hundred dollars in his wallet, and they begin raising money for their restaurant by luring swingers into the home and killing them.

Raoul (Robert Beltran) is a burglar who discovers their crimes and wants in on it.

It must have been pre-AIDS.

The thing I noticed about it that I somehow didn't notice back then was that much of it was filmed with hand held cameras. You don't notice it until the camera "dollies" in or out during a scene.

Paul Bartel was known, at to least to me, mainly for directing Roger Corman's Death Race 2000 which in some ways had the same flavor as this movie.

Poor Paul Bartel died at age 61 in 2000. I remember seeing him in a number of things back then and looking at IMDb, I see he had far more thriving career than I realized.

With Ed Begley, Jr, and Buck Henry.

No comments:

Post a Comment