Sunday, September 13, 2020

Bob Fosse's "Lenny", 1974



Lenny Bruce's delivery must have been really something because nothing he said was remotely funny.

I don't remember my reaction when I saw this movie 45 years ago. I took it as a historical drama even though Bruce died only eight years earlier. At least I went through my teen years hip to Lenny Bruce which came up two or three times over the years. It didn't help me in any way.

Dustin Hoffman as Lenny Bruce.

As late as 1974, a movie in black & white didn't seem like that much of a novelty.

Available on The Criterion Channel.

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to see this one for a while now but just never came across a copy -- thanks for the heads-up that it's on Criterion. Have you seen Fosse's "All that Jazz"? That's my favorite of his films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it. Someone had to point out a reference to it on Get a Life, Chris Elliott looking like Roy Scheider applying theatrical make-up with a cigarette in his mouth. I see it's available free on Pluto.

      Delete