Monday, January 10, 2022

Dwayne Hickman RIP

 
Dwayne Hickman has died of Parkinson's Disease at 87. He had the title role in the series The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. That show launched the careers of Warren Beatty and Tuesday Weld, with Bob Denver and Sheila James. Appeared in Cat Ballou among other things. Became a programming executive at CBS in the late '70's.
 
I remember watching Dobie Gillis in syndication when I was four or five. Watching it again years later on Nick at Nite I was kind of amazed by it. I'd read a little of Max Schulman who wrote the series of short stories the show was based on.  It had his father ranting about "the matriarchy" and one episode with a family of health food-eating acrobats who had long hair with tunics.  
 
I lost interest when Dobie and Maynard joined the Army.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment