Saturday, January 1, 2022

John Hughes' Ferris Beuller's Day Off (1986)

It's New Year's Day. I celebrated by going out and hitting a drive through. I haven't eaten out since I got an air fryer three weeks ago.

I came home. My 90-year-old mother was watching Ferris Beuller's Day Off. She asked if I had ever seen it. She taught junior high school long ago before she was driven out by a Mormon administrator and was appalled that they showed this thing in school.

Seeing it again after all these years, I tend to agree. It was awful.

Looked up John Hughes. His directing career spanned only eight years. I can't imagine he couldn't have continued if he wanted. More proof that directing isn't that great.

Hughes was a little after my time. I was in my 20's when he started making teen movies.

I skipped classes all the time in high school. I never understood why missing a day of school was a problem. My mother and her friends skipped school in the 1940's and no one cared. I don't know how spontaneous it was, but I had a friend who got into his old Fiat to drive to school one morning but went the other direction. He ended up in Boise. Got home at 4 AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment