Monday, April 17, 2023

Invasion of the Girl Snatchers (1973)

The original title was The Hidan of Maukbeiangjow, which was meaningless as far as I could tell. Something about alien mind control.

I had seen a few minutes of this movie long ago. There was some sort of syndicated show called "The Movie Greats Network" which came on a local channel late at night and showed unwatchable movies they obviously paid almost nothing for. One was a shockingly racist South African movie.

They also showed this movie which seemed to be a comedy made in the South somewhere---in Arkansas, it turns out. I sat watching it in the middle of the night back then. It made me realize how easy it would be to make a disastrously unfunny comedy. 

Maybe film students should watch it for this reason.

There's a generation of film students who might think that the worst they could do is make a movie that's "so bad, it's good", oblivious to the potential for total failure.

I saw the movie on Tubi for the first time in forty years. It had more nudity than it did on 1980's broadcast television. I guess it says something for it that it's still available after half a century.

No comments:

Post a Comment