Sunday, October 1, 2023

Netflix quits DVDs


Netflix has given up on the DVD business. It's all streaming now. I had signed up for their cheapest DVD plan, could get one at a time. Got an email from them telling me not to bother sending their DVD back. It's all over which is kind of too bad. Streaming video probably causes more environmental damage.

I've written this before. Blockbuster and Hollywood video had killed off the local video stores. The local stores were more interesting. There was one that specialized in high brow and foreign films, one rented out nothing but crap---cheap horror movies or not-very-good westerns. I was able to rent spaghetti westerns there that I heard about but couldn't find anyplace else.

The big chains had a lot of copies of popular titles and a limited selection of everything else and I assume Netflix would be like them only more so. 

But I was at work one day. I mentioned a movie to co-worker. I couldn't remember the title, but it was about a wealthy woman in France who was in love with a chimpanzee. He wandered off to a computer, checked Netflix, came back and told me it was Max, Mon Amour.

I signed up. Saw movies I read about but had never seen and stuff I'd known nothing about. It turned out there was something called "nunsploitation", exploitation films about Catholic nuns. Watched some very good Japanese gangster and juvenile delinquency movies, the films of Luis Bunuel, Soviet films, post-Soviet Russian films, cheap exploitation films. I couldn't get enough of them.

Now what do I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment